We are looking for confirmation that Samuel S Howard who married Mary Thackston (daughter of William Thackston and Nancy Cook) ca 1830 in Greenville County, South Carolina, is Samuel Stewart Howard, son of Samuel Howard and Mary Jones of Greenville County, who later lived in DeKalb County, Georgia, and Shelby County, Alabama.
We believe that Mary and Samuel had at least three children, Mary A. Howard, William F. Howard, and Samuel Howard, and may have had a fourth daughter, Harriet Elizabeth Howard, who married (1) Lewis Turner Brasher in 1856 in Shelby Co., AL; and (2) Stephen Busby / Busbee.
We believe Samuel married Clarissa — after Mary’s death, either in South Carolina or Georgia, and later married Melissa Poe in 1865 in Shelby Co., AL. We have seen references that Samuel died in 1911 in Shelby or Jefferson Co., AL.
This is what we have confirmed:
1. A Samuel S. Howard was the son of Samuel Howard who d. abt 1852 in Greenville County, South Carolina. (Source: Samuel Howard Sr.’s probate, which names Samuel S. Howard as a son.)
2. This Samuel S. Howard had moved to Shelby County, Alabama, by 1855. (Source: Samuel Howard Sr.’s probate, which identifies the place of residence of the non-resident legatees of Samuel Sr.)
3. This Samuel S. Howard had a sister Harriet G. Howard who married William Turner Thackston, son of William Thackston and Nancy Cook. She later married Richard Baldwin, who died 1850-1855, and A. J. Allison. (Source: Samuel Howard Sr.’s will, which bequeaths his daughter Harriet Baldwin’s share of his estate to her children, and Samuel Sr.’s probate, in which the heirs of Richard Baldwin and Turner Thackston are identified as entitled to one share. That William Turner Thackston is a son of William and Nancy is established by William’s probate, which identifies William T. Thackston as a son. Harriet’s gravestone names her as the wife of A. J. Allison, also indicated in various census records.)
4. A Samuel S. Howard married Mary Thackston before 1835, probably in Greenville County, South Carolina. Mary was a daughter of William Thackston and Nancy Cook, and a brother of William Turner Thackston. (Source: William Thackston probate, which names Mary “Polly” and husband Samuel S Howard and William T. Thackston as legatees.)
5. William Turner Thackston died in 1840 in DeKalb County, Georgia. (Source: death notice.) He is said to be buried at Indian Springs Baptist Church, Stone Mountain, Georgia. This may actually be Indian Creek cemetery, which is where an aunt and uncle, Lemuel Dean and Elizabeth Howard, are buried. (Source: Lemuel Dean’s death notice, 14 Jan 1880, Atlanta Constitution.)
Does anyone have any information proving or disproving that Samuel S Howard who (first) married Mary Thackston is Samuel Stewart Howard?