James Edward Thackston’s daughters (Greenville Co., S.C.)

Gravestones at the Reedy River Baptist church cemetery, Greenville, S.C.:

Georgia Thackston Jones: April 4, 1902 – Sept. 29, 1977.

Twyman D. Jones:  May 7, 1898 – Nov. 7, 1956

Helen Thackston Hunt:  September 15, 1891 – Nov. 11, 1979

Boyce Waymon Hunt: April 19, 1889 – Sept. 26, 1960

Juanita T. Watkins: Sept. 25, 1897 – Nov. 10, 1893

Joe Lee Watkins: Feb. 11, 1877 – March 17, 1953

Louise Thackston Neves: – March 28, 2002

Elwyn Gilreath Neves: May 17, 1911 – Oct. 26, 1987

*     *     *     *     *

Obituary of Georgia Thackston Jones, from the Reedy River cemetery website:

Georgia Jones
        Georgia Thackston Jones, 75, of Route 2, Green Hill Drive, Simpsonville, widow of Twyman D. Jones, died Thursday.
        A native of Greenville County, she owned and operated Georgia Jones’ Millinery Shop for more than 30 years. She was a charter member of Downtown Baptist Church and member of Eskew Sunday School Class. She was a member of Board of Directors of Greenville Womans Club.
        Surviving are a son, T. Douglas Jones of Simpsonville; sisters, Helen Hunt, Juanita Watkins, Maude Mauldin and Louise Neves, all of Greenville; Rachel Gurnell of Washington, D.C., and Christine Carpenter of Los Angeles, Calif.; brothers , Frank and Ford Thackston of Greenville; three grandchildren and one grandchild (sic).
        Services will be at 4 p.m. Saturday at Downtown Baptist Church; burial at Reedy River Baptist Church cemetery.
        The body will be placed in the church at 3 p.m.
        Memorials may be made to Downtown Baptist Church.
       
(The Greenville News) [No date given]

     Helen Thackston Hunt, 88, of White Horse Road, widow of Boyce Waymon Hunt, died Sunday.
Born in Greenville County, a practical nurse at Gaston Hospital, Travelers Rest, she attended Tigerville Academy and Chicora College, was a member of Reedy River Baptist Church and of the Mother’s Sunday School class.
      Surviving are a daughter, Martha Hunt Jameson of Liberty; sons, Milton E. Hunt of Travelers Rest and Robert T. Hunt of Anderson; sisters, Juanita T. Watkins, Maude T. Mauldin and Louise T. Neeves all of Greenville, Christine T. Carpenter of Los Angeles, Calif. and Rachel T. Gurnell of Chapin, S.C.; a brother J. Ford Thackston of Greenville, seven grandchildren. and nine great-grandchildren.
      Services will be at 11 a.m. Tuesday at Reedy River Baptist Church; burial in the church cemetery.
      The body will be placed in the church at 10:30 a.m. Tuesday.
      Memorials may be made to Reedy River Baptist Church Cemetery Fund, Route 7, Greenville, S.C. 29609.
      (The Greenville News, Nov. 12, 1979)

Boyce W. Hunt
         Boyce Waymon Hunt, 71, of Rt. 3, White Horse Road, died Monday at 1 p.m. at a local hospital after one day of serious illness and several years of declining health.
         Born in Greenville County, a son of the late Warren and Emma Clement Hunt, he had spent his life here.
         He was a retired farmer and for several years was with the Farm Security Administration.
         Mr. Hunt was a member of Reedy River Baptist Church.
         Surviving are his wife, Mrs. Helen Thackston Hunt of Greenville; one daughter, Mrs. Vernon Jameson of Liberty; two sons, Milton Edward Hunt of Travelers Rest and Robert Thackston Hunt of Anderson; one sister, Ella H. Hunt of Greenville, and five grandchildren.
         Funeral services will be conducted Wednesday at 11 a.m. at Reedy River Baptist Church by Rev. S.P. Hester. Burial will be in the church cemetery.
         Pallbearers will be Frank, Raymond and Warren Hunt; Douglas Jones, Furman Watkins and Walter Greene.
         The body is at the Mackey Mortuary, and will be placed in the church at 10 a.m. Wednesday.
        
(Greenville Piedmont) [No date given]

Mrs. Juanita T. Watkins
  
 
Mrs. Juanita T. Watkins, 86, of Duncan Chapel Road at Watkins Bridge Road, widow of Joe Lee Watkins, died Thursday.
      Born on Duncan Chapel Road, she was a daughter of the late James Edward and Ella Hawkins Thackston. She was a member of Reedy River Baptist Church.
      Surviving are a son, B. Furman Watkins of Greenville; four sisters, Mrs. Maude T. Mauldin and Mrs. Louise T. Neves, both of Greenville; Mrs. Christine T. Carpenter of Los Angeles, Calif., and Mrs. Rachel T. Gurnell of Chapin; and a brother, J. Ford Thackston of Greenville; and two grandchildren.
      Funeral services will be conducted Saturday at 11 a.m. at Reedy River Baptist Church by Rev. Gerald C. Martin. Burial will be in the church cemetery.
      The body is at the Mackey Mortuary. The family will be at home.
      In lieu of flowers, memorials may be made to the Cemetery Fund of Reedy River Baptist Church.
     
(The Greenville News) [no date given]

Joe Lee Watkins
       Joe L. Watkins, 76, a lifelong resident of Greenville County, died unexpectedly at 3 p.m. Tuesday while engaged in work near his home.
       Mr. Watkins was a son of the late Z.B. and Alice Farr Watkins, members of Greenville County families, and engaged in farming and the mercantile business all of his life, his residence being on the Duncan Rd.
       He was a member of the Reedy River Baptist Church.
       His wife, Mrs. Juanita Thackston Watkins, survived him, with one son, B. Furman Watkins of this city.
       Also surviving are two sisters: Miss Mildred Watkins of Greenville, and Mrs. George Lathem of Pickens County.
       Funeral services will be held at the Mackey Mortuary Saturday at 2:30 p.m., conducted by the Rev. Seth Hester, pastor of Reedy River Baptist Church. Interment will be made on the family plot in the Reedy River Baptist Church cemetery.
       The body will remain at the Mackey Mortuary pending the hour of the service.

         (Compiled from two Greenville Piedmont obituaries) [no date given]

Elwyn G. Neves
     
Elwyn G. Neves, 76, of 14 Berkley Ave., husband of Louise Thackston Neves, died Monday, October 26, after an extended illness.
       Born in Greenville County, he was a son of the late William Arthur and Ethel Gilreath Neves.
       He was retired from Life of Virginia Insurance Co. and was a member of St. Mark United Methodist Church and Walden Masonic Lodge #274.
       He was an Army veteran of World War II.
       Surviving in addition to his wife are two sons, Elwyn G. Neves, Jr. of Utah and James Ed Neves of Black Mountain, N.C.; four sisters, Marion N. Hawkins of Greer, Grace N. Anderson of Travelers Rest, Lucile N. Kilgore of Orangeburg and Daisy N. Jones of Taylors; a grandson, James Neves of Black Mountain, and a granddaughter, Heather McCown of Utah.
       His body was donated to Medical Science.
       The family is at the home.
       Memorial service will be conducted Thursday at 11 a.m. at St. Mark United Methodist Church.
       Memorials may be made to St. Mark United Methodist Church, 306 N. Franklin Road, Greenville, 29609 or to the S.C. Lung Association, Piedmont Branch, 29 N. Irvine St., Greenville, 29601.
       Courtesy of The Mackey Mortuary.
      
(The Greenville News, Wednesday, Oct. 28, 1987)

*     *     *     *     *

From Greenvilleonline.com:

Louise Thackston Neves, 91, widow of Elwyn Gilreath Neves, formerly of Berkley Avenue, died March 28, 2002 at Highland Farms in Black Mountain, N.C., where she had resided for the past 6½ years.

Born in Greenville, she was a daughter of the late James Edward and Ella Hawkins Thackston.

Mrs. Neves attended Greenville Women’s College and Fruitland Institute, and worked as a receptionist for the Greenville Hospital School of Nursing. She was a member of St. Mark United Methodist Church.

Surviving are two sons, Elwyn G. “Ted” Neves Jr. of Albany, Ga. and James Edward “Ed” Neves of Black Mountain, N.C.; a sister, Maude Thackston Mauldin of Raleigh, N.C.; a grandson, James Neves; and a step-granddaughter, Heather Singletary.

Graveside services will be at 11 a.m., Monday at Reedy River Baptist Church Cemetery, White Horse Road, Travelers Rest, with the Rev. Barry Cannon officiating.

In lieu of flowers, memorials may be made to St. Mark United Methodist Church, 206 North Franklin Road, Greenville, SC 29609. — The Mackey Mortuary, Century Drive.

Published in The Greenville News: 03-30-2002 #

Graveside service for Rachel Thackston Gurnell, 86, formerly of Greenville, will be held Tuesday at 2 p.m. in Woodlawn Memorial Gardens, Greenville. The Rev. Nancy Emerson will officiate. Memorials may be made to the Alzheimer’s Association, Mid-State Chapter, P.O. Box 7044, Columbia, SC 29202-7044. Dunbar Funeral Home, Dutch Fork Chapel, Irmo, is in charge.

Mrs. Gurnell, wife of the late Robert Webber Gurnell, died Saturday, Nov. 3, 2001, at her home. Born in Greenville, she was the daughter of the late James Edward and Ella Hawkins Thackston. She was a member of the Hope Bible Class at Chapin Baptist Church.

Surviving are her son and daughter-in-law, Dale and Betty Gurnell of Chapin; grandchildren, Kimberly and Brett Sims and Laura and Wayne Bradley; and great-grandchildren, Tristen and Tyler.

Published in The Greenville News: 11-05-2001 #

*     *     *     *     *

(Abstract) From the New York Times, 06 Oct 1947:  Miss Christine Thackston, daughter of the late Mr. and Mrs. James Edward Thackston of Greenville, South Carolina, to Dr. Charles M. Carpenter.

*     *     *     *     *

A very detailed memorial of Charles Milton Carpenter by the University of California (Carpenter was one of the founders of the UCLA medical school):

Charles Milton Carpenter, Infectious Diseases: Los Angeles and Berkeley

  1895-1966
  Professor Emeritus
  Research Oncologist

The career of Charles Carpenter reflects the growth of a scientist from humble beginnings through almost half a century of great change in scientific concepts and methods in his field of interest.

He was born on August 8, 1895, in the foothill farmland of Central New York State. His parents, Thomas Burt and Charlotte Dean Carpenter, were God-fearing farm folk of modest means who believed in hard work and constant self-improvement. Gifted with dogged persistence and tremendous physical energy, Charles determined to break away from the stoop labor required by the farming of his parents’ day. He entered Cornell’s New York State Veterinary College and was awarded the degree of Doctor of Veterinary Medicine in 1917. In that same year he married Emma Louise Buckham and one daughter was later born of the union.

He served his Alma Mater for one year as Instructor in the Department of Veterinary Obstetrics and Diseases of Breeding Animals and for another year in Comparative Pathology and Bacteriology. Investigation of the serious problem of diseases related to abortion in meat animals resulted in publication of his Master’s thesis in 1918 and his Ph.D. thesis in 1921. He was appointed Acting Professor of Bacteriology at Cornell, 1921-22, and Acting Associate Professor of Bacteriology at UC, Berkeley, 1922-23. By 1922 he had proved conclusively that scours disease in ewes and cattle was due to Brucella abortus; that calves were infected by drinking infected milk; that cattle could be infected by infected food and water (with G. H. Hart); and that the vaccination of cows with living cultures of the bacteria might be a useful preventive measure.

He returned to Cornell Veterinary College in 1923 as Assistant Professor of Pathology and Bacteriology and Director of Laboratory Diagnosis. Here in the State University laboratory he had access to bountiful resource materials for his research and had contact with the State Department of Health and the New York City Health Department, as well as with physicians who had cases of undulant fever among human patients. In 1924 he reported Brucella abortus in marketed milk and with V. A. Moore, M.D., in 1926, reported the finding of Brucella abortus in six human cases of undulant fever, presumably of milk-borne origin. Six papers out of thirty-seven published before 1929 were authored jointly with Ruth Boak, a research and teaching collaborator for the next forty years.

Two research projects published with Ruth Boak in 1928 and 1929 proved to be a turning point in his scientific direction. The first determined the “thermal death point” in seven Brucella abortus cultures obtained from milk and from the feces of human cases at fifteen minutes at 140°F (60°C) and from a pig foetus at twenty minutes. The second paper dealt with the application of alternating electric current as a method of heating raw milk for pasteurization and demonstrated complete destruction of tubercle bacilli added to the milk by temperatures of 155°F and 160°F.

Although Carpenter had received research funds from the New York City Health Department, Bellevue Hospital, and the U. S. Hygienic Laboratory, and had small grants from the Heckscher Fund and from the Metropolitan Life Insurance Company, now he needed more research money to proceed with the study of pasteurization of milk by electrical heating. He applied for help to Dr. W. R. Whitney, Director of the Research Laboratories of the General Electric Company. The result was a lifetime friendship with Dr. Whitney and the offer of a very substantial grant if Carpenter and Boak would transfer to the Albany Medical School as medical students with appointments as Research Fellows and as Bacteriologists to the Albany Hospital, to work specifically on the fever-producing properties of the 30-meter high-frequency generator recently developed in the General Electric Company laboratories.

It was proposed to test the effects of machine-made fever on acute syphilis in rabbits and, daringly enough, on central nervous system syphilis in man. Laboratories were made available in the Albany Medical School and the Albany Hospital, and clinical material at the Ellis Hospital at Schenectady and later at the New York Psychiatric Institute and Hospital (with Leland E. Hinsie, M.D.). Such integration of laboratory and clinical experiments was unusual for that day. The objective in both the animal and human experiments was to imitate the febrile paroxysms of tertian malaria which had been demonstrated by Wagner von Jauregg to be beneficial in treating paretics. Carpenter’s results were favorable enough to warrant further experimentation.

In 1930 Carpenter transferred to the Department of Radiology at the University of Rochester, N.Y., to form a team with Ruth Boak, F. W. Bishop, and S. L. Warren which, under a Rockefeller Foundation grant, studied the physiological effects of fever temperatures. The work resulted in extensive knowledge of the biology and physiology of infectious organisms and their susceptibility to high temperatures, but the development of the difficult and hazardous techniques of artificial fever therapy was fortunately made unnecessary about 1940 by the convenient use of penicillin in syphilis and the sulphanilamide in gonorrhea.

Carpenter received his M.D. degree at Rochester in 1933 and became Associate Professor of Bacteriology and Director of the Rochester Health Bureau Laboratories. In 1936 he became Consultant to the U. S. Public Health Service, a relationship which lasted throughout the rest of his life. During a year’s leave of absence, 1940-41, he obtained his Master’s degree in Public Health at the Johns Hopkins School of Public Health. While based at Rochester he did extensive work on leprosy and organized a survey of venereal disease in the isolated communities of Brunswick and Sea Island, Georgia, and in Jacksonville, Florida. During the war years he continued to work on venereal disease for the Committee on Medical Research of the National Research Council. As a civilian consultant in 1945-46 with the rank of Colonel, he was sent by the Army to investigate the treatment failures in venereal disease among troops in Japan, Korea, and the Philippines. His wife died during the war period (1944), his daughter had married, and he was very much alone.

In 1947, Dr. Carpenter was appointed Chairman of the Department of Infectious Diseases in the new Medical School at UCLA. This title for the Department was a departure from the old line “Bacteriology Department” since the Department curriculum now had to cover all types of infectious agents and the concept that the host was equally or more important than the parasite to an understanding of infectious diseases. After considerable discussion with UC, San Francisco, it was conceded that a divisional structure was appropriate which identified areas of Virology, Tropical Medicine and Parasitology, Mycology, as well as General Bacteriology, and Dr. Carpenter built these into his early Department. Dr. Carpenter contributed to the organization and design of the Medical School and particularly to the new animal quarters. He was Chairman of the Animal Care Committee for many years and was a leading force in the Medical Research Association of California in setting standards for animal care and in fighting the antivivisectionists.

Great efforts were needed to obtain gifts for special equipment not provided for in state funds, and the all-important electron microscope laboratory was eventually provided by the Hitachi Company of Japan and by the Nina Anderton Foundation. Other equipment was supplied by the Harry N. Falk Research Fund. The collaboration of advanced students from UCLA and visiting foreign students extended the research staff of the Department of Infectious Diseases, and laboratory facilities were offered by Veterans’ Administration hospitals in the San Fernando Valley and later in Long Beach.

Throughout the years Dr. Carpenter maintained his interest in brucellosis research. Under the auspices of the Del Amo Foundation, he took the new Brucella abortus vaccine prepared by Gamma-irradiation to the Minister of Health of Spain (1958-59) for trial in the north country where undulant fever was extensive among goats. The results were so encouraging that he later took the vaccine to Korea (1960) and to Indonesia (1960). He was officially commended by these governments for his work. As a direct result of his foreign visits, some twenty-eight advanced students and faculty members came from these countries to work in his programs (1947-66). Twenty-five of them have returned home to teach and carry on the research started here with Carpenter.

In 1955 he began to work on the immunological aspects of cancer. In the search for an isolated, stable community, Sheridan, Wyoming, was chosen for a long-term testing program with the help of funds from the U. S. Public Health Service, the California Institute for Cancer Research, and the Whedon Foundation. A ten-year study has been carried on there and, in parallel, among the lung cancer patients at the Long Beach Veterans Hospital. Just before retirement he initiated an extensive study of the role of the tobacco mosaic virus in lung cancer and was in the midst of correlating the findings on the day of his death, March 25, 1966.

He was a strong advocate of the development of a full-scale School of Public Health and its integration with the Medical School and campus. He concerned himself with the possible relationships of the Los Angeles City and County Health Departments and of the other groups engaged with public health programs in the community as teaching and research resources for his department and the future School of Public Health.

Upon retirement in 1962 Carpenter was appointed Research Oncologist in the School of Public Health and continued to direct the Evelyn Castera Cancer Research Laboratory. He retained his consultantships at the Long Beach Veterans Hospital, with the Sixth Army Area Medical Laboratory, U. S. Public Health Service, and with the Los Angeles City Health Department.

Dr. Charlie had a friendly gregariousness, an earthy simplicity, and a dedication and sincerity which endeared him to students, colleagues, and laymen wherever he went. He was an Elder in the Westwood Hills Christian Church, a painter of considerable merit, and a collector of ancient coins and rare medical books. He prepared a record in motion picture and tape of the development of the UCLA Medical School which unfortunately was consumed with his home in the great Bel Air fire of 1961. He was a charter member of the Society for the History of Medical Science and active in a fantastic number of professional societies, committees, and boards. With his charming second wife, Christine Thackston Carpenter, whom he married in 1947, he was active in the social life of campus and community.

He left a department firmly committed to the importance of the host-parasite relationship in infectious diseases, a concept which he had vigorously promoted throughout his scientific life. Thus passed an era of great change and a man who kept abreast of his time, leaving a good heritage for a new era.

Stafford L. Warren Lenor S. Goerke Joel J. Pressman A. F. Rasmussen, Jr.

*     *     *     *     *

From the Oneonta Star, 28 Mar 1966:

Area Obituaries / Charles M. Carpenter

Charles M. Carpenter

LOS ANGELES — Dr. Charles Milton Carpenter, M.D., 70, professor emeritus of the Medical school at U.C.L.A., died unexpectedly Friday, March 25, at his home in Los Angeles.

Dr. Carpenter was one of the five physicians who founded the Medical School at UCLA.  He remained as head of the Infectious Diseases department of [the] school, a position he held until his retirement.

Dr. Carpenter was born August 8, 1895 in Ivanhoe, N.Y., a son of Thomas B. and Charlotte (Dean) Carpenter.

Surviving are his wife in Los Angeles; a daughter, Mrs. Jean Johnston and two grandchildren, Rochester; and a sister, Miss Emily Carpenter, Unadilla.

 

Leave a comment

Filed under Obituary

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s